Martha Buyer is a Telecom Lawyer with extensive industry experience, having spent 24+ years in the legal profession. In 1989 Ms. Buyer became VP and co-founder of a firm developing highly specialized and innovative computer and telecommunications applications and, since 2007, has been President of an independent and innovative telecommunications consulting firm, helping numerous businesses create and manage networks for voice and data traffic. Ms. Buyer is a Telecommunications/Legal Columnist at the New York Daily Record, and an Avaya Podcast Network Legal Correspondent.
Martha Buyer is a Telecom Lawyer with extensive industry experience, specializing in regulatory matters and contract negotiation. Having started out as a Press Office Manager in 1974, Ms. Buyer became a Voice and Data Analyst in 1985, and in 1989 became an Associate Staff Member with responsibilities including project management for telecommunications projects – from the development of a functional description of a network management system for a regional Bell operating company, to the preparation of a ten year telecommunications plan for the Bridger-Teton National Forest based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
At the same time Ms. Buyer became VP and co-founder of a firm developing highly specialized and innovative computer and telecommunications applications. Projects included the design and implementation of a mid-range network management system, as well as the design of an automated ski lift ticketing system. She has previously also worked as a Public Relations proofer and writer, and has a company called The Bison Group (see below).
Ms. Buyer graduated from the University of Colorado in 1983 with an MS in Telecommunications, during which time she was also a Representative to Graduate School Advisory Council. In 1994 she graduated the State University of New York at Buffalo with a Juris Doctor degree, with Honors in Trial Technique, Independent Study in Copyright & Technology, Advanced Capital Markets, Counseling Small Business, Financing Small Business, Civil Rights, and Policy Issues in Clinical Medicine. She also holds a Certificate in Tax. Ms. Buyer is admitted to practice in New York, Colorado, Wisconsin and Massachusetts.
Since 2013 Ms. Buyer has been an Avaya Podcast Network Legal Correspondent, providing research and commentary for weekly podcasts on telecommunications law and policy.
Since 2007 Ms. Buyer has been President of The Bison Group, Inc., an independent and innovative telecommunications consulting firm, which has helped numerous businesses create and manage networks for voice and data traffic.
Since 2003 Ms. Buyer has been a Telecommunications/Legal Columnist at the New York Daily Record.
- Ms. Buyer’s Awards include, but are not exclusive of:
- 2009 – 2014 : Annual Pro Bono Achievement Award, Supreme Court of the State of Colorado
- 2009 – 2014 : Annual Empire State Counsel Award, New York State Bar Association
- 1997 + 2013 : Erie Co. Bar Assoc. VLP Lawyer of the Year, Not for Profit
- 1996 : Business First “Forty under 40” Award
- Ms. Buyers professional Associations and Memberships include:
- New York State Bar Association – since 1995
- Erie County Bar Association – since 1995
- Federal Communications Bar Association – since 1997
- Society of Communications Technology Consultants Int’l, Consultant Member – since 1999
- Colorado Bar Association – since 2003
- Boulder County Bar Association – since 2003
- Wisconsin Bar Association – since 2003
- SDO/SOWMBA Certified (WBE, Commonwealth of Massachusetts) – since 2005
- NY Certified Woman Owned business (WBE) – since 2005
- California Public Utilities Commission certified WBE – since 2008
- Ms. Buyers is also very active in her community:
- Board Member, Buffalo Tennis & Squash Club Pres. Foundation, Inc. – since 2012
- Trustee, Buffalo Seminary – 2012-2013
- President, Buffalo Tennis & Squash Club Preservation Foundation, Inc. – 2013-2014
- Board Member, Society of Communications Technology Consultants Int., Inc. – 2014-2015
- Erie County Broadband Committee, Buffalo NY – since 2014
- Board Member, Nativity Miguel School, Buffalo NY – since 2014